Thursday, June 17, 2010

What is the cost to repair/replace a house foundation (concrete slab) in the bay area (Saratoga, CA)

I put an offer on a bank owned foreclosure at $861K it was listed on the MLS for $860K (on zillow its worth 1.5 million). However I noticed the house (built in 1950 with concrete slab foundation, wood and stucco exterior, ranch style 1600 sq ft home on a 13000 sq lot) has many problems but I%26#039;m mostly concerned with the foundation of the house. If I buy this home I won%26#039;t have much money left. And I want to know how much it would cost me to fix or replace it. I noticed the floors slope and bulge in certain areas. Any suggestions about who is really knowledgable and honest I should hire to inspect and/or fix the foundation? Because I have no idea how bad the foundation is. The house seems to be in living condition but I don%26#039;t want to take any unneccessary risks. Plus because it is a foreclosure I don%26#039;t have any idea what else is wrong with the property. Do you think if there is anything wrong with the house the bank would give me credits or negotiate a lower price? Thank you.



What is the cost to repair/replace a house foundation (concrete slab) in the bay area (Saratoga, CA)?

I have represented buyers that have had issues with foundations and in every situation a Structural Engineer was hired for a specific inspection. A regular home inspector is often not qualified to make such an assessment.



Foundation problems vary greatly. But a slab that slopes and bulges puts up some major red flags to what is going on beneath the slab. A slab is nothing but a piece of concrete and concrete doesn%26#039;t %26quot;give%26quot; much. You could be looking at a repair cost of a few hundred dollars or something like $20,000. Regardless of the engineers findings, keep the report for the sake of future buyers of the property!



What is the cost to repair/replace a house foundation (concrete slab) in the bay area (Saratoga, CA)?

You need to hire a licensed building inspector, then go from there. I would not put a signature on a piece of paper until then. A foreclosed home for the most part is, as is, and you don%26#039;t know what you are getting. With the high rate of foreclosed homes right now, I doubt that the lenders have enough time or care to do a proper inspection. Remember the saying, %26quot;Buyer Beware.%26quot; choose your own inspector, money talks and you will get better answers.



What is the cost to repair/replace a house foundation (concrete slab) in the bay area (Saratoga, CA)?

Hire a home inspector who is also a general contractor. He will be knowledgeable of local conditions and should be able to recommend someone who specializes in that kind of repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive