Thursday, June 17, 2010

Can you repair an a spotty academic career/GPA?

When I first entered college, I was not grown up enough to handle the responsibility. I did mediocre my first year, maintaining a 3.3 or so, without really applying myself. My second year I became involved with drinking and partying, stopped going to classes and taking tests, and subsequently had a sophomore year GPA of .25. I have since taken a year off of school. I could go back to my four year University, but I would like a fresh start/new environment, because I know that I can do far better.



So, my question then, is: If I attended a two year community college and retook the core general education courses needed for transfer into a new four year state school (maths, english, etc), as well as prep work for my intended major, could I have the community college credits transfer instead of my flawed four year transcript credits? Obviously the new school will see my old transcript, but will the old credits have transfer precedence? Will a new transcript give me more credibility?



Can you repair an a spotty academic career/GPA?

I had a friend who did the exact same thing- partied to hard his first two years and messed up his GPA. He decided he wanted to go to graduate school and ended up retaking the classes at his old school- which drastically improved his GPA because they threw out the old grades. If you are already accepted into a 4 year college, you may try this route, rather than retaking classes and trying to enter another college.



To answer your question, though, yes, you most certainly can do it that way. The only thing is that some places usually consider 4-year course work to be more %26quot;difficult%26quot; than 2-year, so you may run into that problem. I%26#039;m not exactly sure how it works with transfer credits from two different institutions, but that would be something you could address in your personal statement (i.e. point out how serious you now are regarding your grades, etc). Good luck!



P.S. My friend was successful and is now in his 4th year of grad school.



Can you repair an a spotty academic career/GPA?

how credible would the GPA from the CC be in getting into a 4 year University...if you are going to start over speak with admissions about getting in as a first year student.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive